View of St Peter and St Paul’s church and windmill on the motte around 1818.

The Church

There has been a church at Eye since before Domesday Book.

The curved churchyard suggests an early (Saxon) church may have stood here before the Norman lords of Eye Castle.

In medieval times the church and castle were usually close together, but we know that the Norman lords also had a private chapel within the castle bailey.

Most of the church we can see today dates from the 14th century. The beautiful tower was built in the 15th century and is one of the finest in Suffolk, it took 25 years to build.

Follow the route below to get to the next point on Castle Street, the Windmill.